Monte

He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. Ecclesiastes 3:11

Nate's Dad, Monte, died on April 25th, three days after my birthday. It's been about six months now. Surprisingly, after being there with him and then without him and then with the family all summer it is just starting to hit me hard that he is lost to us in this world. 


8/14/14

What can be said about cancer? Maybe that’s part of what makes this so difficult- that it’s not at all special. Everyone has either had cancer or someone they loved has. Instantly it’s just another fact, another person, another line on the list of prayer requests. One person tried encouraging me by saying, “Medicine is so much more advanced now. Maybe in the past he might have had only five years, now he could have ten!” She didn’t know how much that hurt. To even consider putting a timeline on your life already- something I was completely unprepared for. To have to know what that evil thing is that might be the end of your life; I don’t even want to speak of it.  As an anxious, ridiculous mom I’ve imagined the tragic deaths of my husband and children over and over again- when I call and they don’t answer right away or I wake up after a nightmare. In some ways I feel like I’m more prepared that way. The worrying would remove the sting of surprise if anything did ever happen. I never thought to worry about you. You were always so strong, healthy, and young. You would live for as long as was “normal.” I could wait to start worrying until a more appropriate time, maybe 20 years from now. And then your cancer was the new normal. We were all strapped into the roller coaster whether we wanted to be or not. You were checked into the hospital by days end. And for some reason it already felt like old news to everyone. Because everyone has cancer. My sister did. My mother did. My dad did. There was a little girl at my church with that. Everyone cares but to them it doesn’t seem as outrageous as it does to me. 

No one has anything that truly encourages me. There are those who understand because they too have had someone close to them go through it. They have all the medical knowledge and ask how the therapy is going and if you’ve reached nadir.“We’re praying for you. My dad died of cancer.” Thanks? For some reason it keeps getting me mad every time someone insists that you are dying soon. And yet it makes me just as angry when someone has confidence that you’ll be healed. 

Your DNA is broken. That’s what hurts the most. I didn’t want you to break. 

You are a pillar and I hate to know you are suffering. You are Mr. Strong. It’s supposed to help that you are so strong and tenacious, but that makes it worse. Something that strong shouldn’t break. Someone that fresh shouldn’t need a restart.

I remember so many of our conversations. Some of my greatest memories are the road trips to you, either in Mexico or Idaho. We would always stay up late the night we arrived, until 1 or 2 in the morning, just talking. I loved to listen to you talk with Nate. You were always so wise. Sometimes you were frustrating. I could never tell if you were exaggerating or not. You are our Big Fish.

I remember you telling me once after reading about the book, “Heaven is for Real” that you saw Jesus in your dreams. He looked just as the boy described. He took you flying. I think about that now, desperately hoping it’s real but feeling more and more like a chump for wanting to believe life is more than just an accident. Sometimes it ends before you think it will. It doesn’t mean anything.

I guess mostly it’s just hard to be so far away. I don’t feel the closeness, love, or comfort of God in this circumstance. I always thought I would automatically in tragic circumstances. But it’s just like everything else. I have to choose to believe it in spite of what I see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment